Timeline

1717

Father of Baring's Bank founder moves to Exeter from Bremen

In 1717, the young Johann Baring moved to Exeter from Bremen in Germany.

He liked the place, was naturalised in 1723 and changed his name to John. He bought Larkbeare House, now owned by the County Council.

His sons John and Francis founded Barings Bank, which collapsed in 1995 after Nick Leeson gambled and lost a fortune in its Singapore office.